Comments

1. Heidi Altree says

I think anytime something, in this case veganism, is treated as a trend, fad, get rich or get thin quick scheme it’s unsuccessful. Social media is a breeding ground for this behavior. Nothing done without honest intention and best practices is destined to fail.

Loved your article. Eloquently written and smart.

Thank you Heidi! I agree with you and think the people who become vegan because it’s trendy – whether an influencer or not, are probably destined to fail.
      It’s takes a lot of research and patience to adjust a diet correctly. Most of the YouTubers quitting, seem to have limited themselves to hardly any food at all, and then suggest veganism is to blame.

2. K.M. Sutton says

Love that you are sharing this! I wasn’t vegan, but I was vegetarian for ten years and had go back eating meat because of bad anemia among other gynecological issues. I had vegetarians come at me, but also meat eaters who felt the need to say the told me so. I feel like shade gets thrown on all sides when it comes to food. Everyone is different and our bodies are constantly changing which means we need different nutrients. Just from my background with food and eating disorders, I am anti-diet, I think diet evokes many negative emotions. Not to mention for many being vegan or gluten free isn’t a diet, but a lifestyle. We need to accept everyone where they are at and stop throwing shade at what people eat. Thanks again for sharing this beauty! <3

Thank you for reading lovely! It sounds weird, but sometimes I like putting myself through different diets and experimenting with strict regimes to see how it affects my mood and health. But there’s a lot of toxic advice, emotions and behaviour surrounding the diet industry.

Some people are too focused on picking sides and arguing. I think we have to have serious talks on the environment and look at how the food industry treats animals – which I think needs to change, but it’s not about attacking or shaming people. xx

My guess is that it will continue to rise, slowly. Some will surely stop eating vegan food when the one/s they look up to do, others will just find someone new to follow/look up to.

That’s true, I think for every vegan influencer who chooses to stop being vegan, there’s another in the wings hoping to share some of the popularity.