Comments

1. stickysituation says

Love love love. I’ve been getting into non-fiction books more and more in the past few years. Right now I’m reading Sex At Dawn. Its an analysis of human sexual behaviour and how it has evolved. It tackles topics like “is monogamy natural to humans?”, why cheating is such a prominent problem in modern relationships and draws up fascinating examples on how many scientific theories about both male and female sexual behaviour may be wrong. I’m about 100 pages in and already I am loving it – non-fiction doesn’t always automatically mean boring! (which is what I used to think). Non-fiction can be witty and entertaining too. Great post, Laura! These are going on my list xx

Sex At Dawn sounds like my kind of book! I’m fascinated by how science and society can say two different things, and even though we value science, most of us sway towards societal beliefs. Most people buy fiction wanting escapism – but I think non-fiction can also provide that. It just depends on what book you buy xx

2. Dominika says

My taste in books has definitely evolved over the years. When I was a teenager frequenting my local library, I absolutely loved getting engrossed in a fictional world and those were the only type of books I ever reached for. I still read fiction from time to time, but I mostly choose non-fiction books nowadays. My reading list is as long as my arm, but I can’t help myself and keep adding more and more. Some of the popular titles you mentioned in this blog post are already on my list, but I was really glad to read about these less popular ones. All three sound really appealing to me, but if I were to choose my favourite, it would probably be the first one. I find it absolutely fascinating to read about how our brains work and how upbringing can affect our adult lives. Thank you so much for these recommendations, I will make sure to add these to my list!

I use to always read fictional as a teenager as well. Probably because I associated non-fiction to school and studying, and fiction as being more relaxing and easy to read.
      I’m making it a priority this year (what’s left) to get through some of the books on my list. x

3. The Newbury Girl says

I love nonfiction books – I definitely agree that nonfiction works expand our ability to hold conversation and really learn. These all sound so fascinating – particularly ‘How Emotions are Made’. I’ve added these all to my TBR.

I feel when I read non-fiction, I always have something interesting to share after. I hope you get to read How Emotions are Made soon. 🙂

Sometimes it can take a while to find the right non-fiction. I loved learning about love from a psychologist’s point of view with The Incurable Romantic.

4. beyo11 says

This Mz Laura Jane for the interesting post, I read Lisa Feldman Barrett book, the approach to emotions not being in specific part of the brain seemed to me a new thing that she presented well. love your work Mz Laura Jane:)

Thank you! I think Lisa’s ideas really make sense. Although I’m not an expert (by any means), I can see how we learn emotions from our parents, because we can show anger and sadness etc. in a variety of ways.